Why Your Air Conditioning Unit Needs Servicing?
Air conditioning units can be a godsend on a hot day but how much do you really know about how your system works?
Would you know what to do if it started to malfunction? Luckily, with proper maintenance your air conditioning unit should be a faithful servant even during the hottest weather and if it does need a repair, it's usually quite easy to work out what the problem is.
Common problems you may experience with air conditioning units
- Air remains warm. If you are struggling to get cool air, even when the air conditioner is turned all the way up, the system compressor may be at fault or the coolant levels too low. Unfortunately, this may mean the unit needs to be replaced.
- Weak air flow. If the compressor is failing, some areas will be getting cooled whilst others are not. This may signal a problem with the duct work which would need urgent repair. Getting the ducts cleaned means that previously obstructed airflow can travel freely. If debris does get caught in the vents and airflow becomes obstructed, this can pose a health risk.
- Moisture or leakage. If fluid collects around the system this would indicate either a refrigerant leak or a blocked or broken drain tube. Leaked refrigerant can cause health problems and so needs dealing with urgently. The drain tube is less serious but does need attention to avoid mould growth.
- Mysterious sounds. Unusual sounds generated by electrical items is rarely good news and that is certainly true of air conditioning units. Grinding noises may mean that the motor's bearings are broken and a squealing sound can mean a slipped belt or indicates that more lubrication is needed.
- Unpleasant smells. A bad small usually means that the wire insulation has burnt out whilst a musty smell suggests mould.